Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine hand printing and Burd Fiedas

The kids have actually been really good today, probably because we have been busy.  

I put out the Ikea roll of paper on the dining room table so that the whole table was covered and put out felt tip pens...the kids immediately dived in and started drawing.  I had a bit of time to put out the red paint and brushes for the valentine hand printing.  And then there were red hands everywhere, even on the chairs...thank goodness we opted for leather.



We also painted the milk carton for the birdfeeder.  Daniel wrote a sign for it and it reads "burd fieda". These sweet writings that he comes out with really melt my heart.  My favourite thing to do is ask him to write my grocery list...I say what I need and he writes it.  The last list had the following: Juus, milk, sositez, mins, tjis, brokelie, pies, kebitz and a tuufbrash.  Oh my word, too funny.  Anyway, the bird feeder looks fantastic in the garden.  I have seen this idea before of course, but what got me going was seeing that the kids at Cricket's nursery had all made one and about six of them were hanging in the tree all together and bright looking.  Amazing!  I just had to get in on the action.




It is snowing again today...lovely to see, but I am just longing for a warm spell.  It has been consistently below freezing for a really long time now and I am tired of it.  I have never been a soup maker, but lately have been in the mood.  I made this one today for lunch...

Creamy Potato Soup

4 Tbsp butter
3 leeks sliced thinly
9 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 cups water
1 cup milk
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
salt and pepper

Melt the butter, add leeks with salt and pepper and saute till soft, add potatoes and saute a bit longer.  cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.  Add milk and cheese and serve.

I found this recipe in The Rhythm of Family book by Amanda Soule.  I used cream instead of milk and added a chicken stock cube.  Not as healthy as hers, but it was delicious!  And the kids ate it with lovely buttery toast soldiers.






No comments:

Post a Comment