Wednesday 25 September 2013

One of those days

Our mornings and days generally bump along pretty well...we have our routine down pat and the kids are so good at getting ready and cleaning up, etc. and then every now and again it's one of THOSE days.   Don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about, we all have them in some excrutiating form or another.  I can pinpoint the problem though...zombie children overtired from school/nursery school who have slept badly in turn causing Mommy to sleep badly.  You would think with an excrutiatingly early rise by absolutely everybody, that there would be plenty of time to get ready for school...and you would be wrong.  The more time you have, the later you are going to be.   So the zombies got up early early because at the crack of dawn Cricket re-discovered the new Ikea book tub that I had put in his room for handy bedtime reading.  He obviously found his "What the Ladybird Heard" book because we all woke to the sound of cows mooing, ducks quacking, geese honking, you get the picture.  It was unexpected is all I can say.  We all trooped down.  They all wanted weetabix, but there were no bananas so I made porridge.  This did not go down well..cue wailing for weetabix, falling around and refusal to sit at the breakfast table.  I ignored the problem hoping it would go away.  No fresh bread, but aha pita breads in the freezer.  Heating ovens and leftover chicken for the pitas.  Exploding nappy!  More wailing because the porridge is now cold.  Heating ovens, chicken, porridge and milk for coffee.  Sandwiches made tick, gym bag packed tick, nursery bag packed tick, looking for dutch books for my lesson -why are they never in the same place and oh shoot, I have not done my homework.  Quickly sit and dash it down.  Get dressed, get dressed, get dressed, sit on potty, sit on potty, oh dear, one of Cricket's socks is full of porridge - collect new socks upstairs and come down again and oh dear, Tiger's one sock has holes - collect new socks upstairs and come down again.   Cricket trips over the potty sending wee flying in all directions..Ohhh dear, Tiger has stood in the wee and his sock is wet - collect new socks upstairs and come down again.  The lounge is strewn with pyjamas, porridge socks, wet socks, holey socks, wee, upturned potty.  Offer stars, points, cash, anything for the cleanup to swing into action.  It usually does, but today I just get zombie faces.  Get dressed, get dressed, zombie faces.  Clean teeth - have to persuade Cricket that his shark teeth need to be sparkly and white and not poofy and dirty.  He takes time considering this as moments tick by.  He agrees and teeth are successfully cleaned.  Find shoes!  Zombie faces.  I find that Cricket has left his shoes outside all night (or I have as I did not know they were there) and they are wet.  I stick him in wellie boots and scream for Tiger to get his shoes ONNNNNN.  I grab Cricket, four bags, a dummy, a puppy(his knuffel), dutch homework and load the car.  Just one child left now with no shoes on.  Finally we are all ready and off we go, but oh darn I have forgotten the slip I needed to get back to the teacher last Friday.  At one point in the morning it was in my hand and I was determined that today was the day to remember.  Never mind!  Only one EPIC fail of the day...in all the chaos I did not put my bin out.  Usually the husband does this for me and he is away in Denmark.  I am upset...I don't care about the crazy zombie morning...I want lovely empty Wednesday bin.  Meh!

No comments:

Post a Comment