Friday 23 January 2015

Granola - not too sweet

I have just made delicious granola and am adding it here for ease of reference.  I have been wanting to do this for a while as we all enjoy it but the store bought granola is either way too sugary or it tastes like cardboard and looks all anemic..yuk.  This is the recipe I used today although the sky is the limit in what you can add to it.  Personally I like mine more simple and prefer not to include lots of dried fruit, but that is just me.  Next time I will double up on portions and make more.

Healthy Granola

1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat bran (tarwe zemelin in Dutch)
2 Tbsp flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds and walnuts)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp apple sauce
1 Tbsp oil eg. canola

You can also add
1 Tbsp Seeds
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 cup dried fruit (only add dried fruit once the granola is baked and cooled)

Bake spread out on a baking tray spread with parchment at 150 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour turning every 20 minutes.  When lovely and golden take out and cool before adding to a glass storage jar. 

If you are adding sweet dried fruit like raisins then you can cut down on applesauce or honey.  I am going to cut down on this next time anyway and perhaps eliminate completely with taste coming more from nuts and seeds.




No comments:

Post a Comment