Friday 19 December 2014

Mince Pies

Delicious Mince Pie Recipe

I have tried mince pies a few times and they are often crumbly and break apart.  Well I have found one that seems to work every time now.  It is from BBC Good Food - Paul Hollywood.

375g Plain Flour
260g unsalted butter
125g white castor sugar
1 large egg plus an egg for glazing.

I will shortly be trying out making my own mince meat, but for now I have used a jar 410g brought over kindly by friends from the UK.

Rub the flour into the butter and then add the sugar and egg.  Knead briefly until a firm ball - don't overknead or the butter will melt.  The dough should be slightly sticky...if it is too dry then it crumbles when out the oven.

Roll out on a floured surface to 3mm thick.  Punch rounds out using a small glass tumbler.  Place them in a muffin baking tray which has been greased and dusted with flour.  Punch out stars for the top and place on top once you have added a spoon or two of mincemeat.  Brush with beaten egg and place in a preheated oven.  I baked mine at 190 degrees for 20 minutes - my oven is not that hot.  If you have a hot fan oven then 180 should do it.  Paul's recipe says 200 or 220, but I think that is too hot.

Delicious and so much fun to make - I am addicted as they are just so easy and look so lovely all dusted with icing sugar....love love love love.



No comments:

Post a Comment